Illinois Renewable Energy Portfolio (RPS) Standard Fix
RPS Current Status
- The Illinois RPS creates jobs and economic opportunities in Illinois thru renewable energy development.
- The Illinois Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS) is funded by Illinois utility customers.
The RPS is Broken
The RPS is not working as it was originally intended for two reasons:
- ComEd and Ameren’s (IOU's) electricity loads have been greatly reduced because many municipalities have aggregated their resident’s electricity purchase with competitive suppliers (also called ARES). As a result, ComEd and Ameren’s RPS obligation has been met and they will not need to purchase renewable energy until 2018.
- The ARES comply with the RPS thru a fund called the Alternate Compliance Payment (ACP). This fund has never been used to purchase renewable energy and is at risk of being swept.
The Fix is Easy
- Move the RPS compliance payment for all electricity suppliers in Illinois from the Supply side to the Delivery side of the electric bill.
- This no cost fix will ensure that renewable energy will be built in our state bringing with it significant jobs and economic opportunities.